Sunday, March 22, 2009

Souviens-toi

I meant to post this earlier and I'm glad that I got a few reminders. I chose to use the words to a French hymn called Souviens-toi for the paintings in Lily's room. I first became familiar with the song my freshman year in college. It always struck me as a beautiful lullaby and I knew that someday I would like to do something with it. While the paintings certainly could be better, I'm happy with them. I love having these words on Lily's wall. I only had room to use the first verse, but I love them all.

The following is the hymn written out in French followed by a rather good translation. It is set to music by Antonin Dvorak.

Souviens-toi, mon enfant
Souviens-toi, mon enfant: Tes parents divins
te serraient dans leurs bras, ce temps ne’st pas loin.
Aujourd’hui, tu es là, présent merveilleux,
ton regard brille encore du reflet des cieux.
Parle-moi, mon enfant, de ces lieux bénis
car pour toi est léger le voile d’oubli.

Souviens-toi, mon enfant des bois, des cités.
Pouvons-nous ici-bas les imaginer?
Et le ciel jusqu’au soir, est-il rose ou gris?
Le soleil attend-il la neige ou la pluie?
Conte-moi, mon enfant, la couleur des prés
et le chant des oiseaux d’un monde oublié.

Souviens-toi, mon enfant : A l’aube des temps,
nous étions des amis jouant dans le vent.
Puis un jour, dans la joie nous avons choisi
d’accepter du Seigneur le grand plan de vie.
Ce soir-là, mon enfant, nous avons promis
par l’amour, par la foi, d’être réunis.

Remember, My Child
Remember, my child : not long ago,
your divine parents held you in their arms.
Today you are here, marvelously present.
Your gaze still shines with the reflection of heaven.
Talk to me, my child, about that blessed place,
because for you the veil is still thin.

Remember, my child, the forests, the cities.
Can we down here imagine them?
And the night sky, is it rosy or gray?
Is the sun waiting for snow or rain?
Describe to me, my child, the color of the meadows
and the birdsongs of a forgotten world.

Remember, my child: at the dawn of time,
we were friends playing in the wind.
Then one day in joy we chose to accept
the Lord’s grand plan of life.
That night, my child, we promised
through love, and through faith, to be reunited.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful hymn. I love that you did it in French. You're so creative and talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful. I'm all misty-eyed now. Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete