Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Lily Ann is here!

On Tuesday morning we were scheduled for yet another BPP. We had been going in for these short ultrasounds twice each week to monitor our little girl. We just wanted to make sure that my high blood pressure wasn't hurting her. Well anyway, on Tuesday morning we went in and Lily looked great but my amniotic fluid level was rather low again and my blood pressure was rather high. So yet again my doctor sent me over to L&D triage for observation. After about an hour and a half the nurse came in and gave me instructions and checked me out. They had decided that I should go home and come back again the next day for another fluid screening. Well, I was half dressed to go back home when my doctor and nurse came back in. My doctor had changed her mind and wanted to know how we felt about staying and having our little girl right then. Given the issues that we had been having we were all more comfortable with delivering right away rather than waiting for either of us to get into any serious distress.

So, they checked me into Labor and Delivery and started me on Pitocin around 2:15. My doctor came back in and broke my water a couple of hours later. My mom and sister Sarita came and spent the day with Tyson and I. I felt fine and the contractions weren't really bothering me for a long time. Around 5:00 we decided to start and epidural. The contractions weren't really painful yet, but my blood pressure was getting up there and the epidural helped to bring it down.

Around 6:30 my contractions my contractions had really sped up, however Lily wasn't tolerating them well. During my peaks her heart rate would drop. So, they started me on oxygen and had me move from laying on my back to my right side and then my left again. That helped for a while but around 7:45 it stopped working. The doctor came back in and checked me again and my 8:00 we were ready to push. For the first 2 hours the pushing went really well. Lily's heart rate stopped falling during contractions so long as I was pushing so we just went along pretty easily but by 10:00 her heart rate started falling during contractions again, but this time only if I was pushing. My doctor had me push during every other contraction so that Lily would get more time to recover between them.

By 10:30 it was time to get her out. The doctor and I talked and she decided to help out and use a vacuum. She got that ready and at 10:42 Lily was delivered. She was 6 pounds, 12 ounces and 20 inches long. As it turns out her head had been presenting at an odd angle. so she had been caught up on my pelvis. Anyway, they laid our little girl on my tummy right away and I just couldn't believe it. There was our little girl. I had been pregnant for nearly nine full months, but I never quite wrapped my head around it all. My doctor had Tyson cut her cord and he watched as they checked her out while my doctor took care of me. Lily had good apgar results, but she was grunting a bit and given that she was 2.5 weeks early they decided to take her to the NICU for observation. I was disappointed because after all this work I end up in the delivery room with just my mom while my husband and baby are off in the NICU.

Thankfully, by 1:45 am they are ready to take me upstairs to the mother/baby unit, but first the nurse was going to take me to the NICU to see my little girl. Tyson came in right then and said that they were ready to send Lily upstairs to the regular nursery. So, the nurse wheeled me over to the NICU and we picked up Lily and took her upstairs with us.

We are just getting ready to leave the hospital this morning and I am so excited to get home. Everyone here has been wonderful, but home is always best. I have recovered very well. My blood pressure is back to normal already and my swelling is almost all gone. Lily is getting along perfectly! The pediatrician just came by to check on her again his morning and she is doing great. Her vital are all strong and she is feeding very well. She is such a content little girl. She is so alert and she loves to cuddle. I really couldn't ask for anything more.


  1. I'm all weepy-eyed now. You never forget what's it's like when you have your baby. As previous on Facebook, she's perfect. I'm relieved you were able to deliver naturally. After all that hard work, it would be hard to have to go through surgery. I can't even imagine what it would've been like to push for that long! You're amazing! I'm sure having Tyson and your family there made all the difference.

  2. Congratulations! I'm so glad Lily arrived safely and that you are both well.

  3. Congratulations! And now the fun begins...

  4. Congratulations! she is adorable!!!