Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Post-Nap Time Apocalypse

Some days are just harder than others.  There are days when your children are happy and well behaved and others when they are naughty and mischievous.  Today was a harder day than usual.  Thankfully, my kids are healthy, and generally happy, but a little too mischievous for their own good.  After lunch I sent the girls down to their room for nap time.  Now, they usually play for a while together before falling asleep and I am totally fine with that.  I still have a baby monitor in the room so I can hear if they get into a fight or anything like that, but this afternoon it was quiet.  Maybe not totally quiet, but certainly not loud.  I got to my mommy chores and did the dishes, swept and mopped the floors and then sat down to Skype with my sister for a bit.  Because it was quiet I figured that the girls were sleeping.

I was wrong.

Around 4:15 Charlotte came upstairs to get help taking a swimming suit off because she had the strap too tight around her arm and it was hurting.  They dress up sometimes before naps so I thought that maybe she had put the swimming suit on before falling asleep.  Lily followed her up wearing her mermaid skirt and I noticed some little Styrofoam pellets were stuck to her clothing.  I knew right away what they were from.  I made the girls some little poofs to sit on when we watched movies and such and they were stuffed with these little Styrofoam bean bag pellets.  I thought that maybe one had sprung a leak so I went downstairs to investigate.  Lily followed me and said, right as I turned the corner to see into her room "We were swimming in them."
Oh, the horror!
I'm amazed at myself, I didn't yell.  In fact, I didn't do anything.  I just stood there in the doorway, staring at this mess in front of me wondering if I could get away with just shutting the door to the room and having the girls sleep elsewhere until Friday when Tyson would be able to help me clean this up.  I finally concluded that I couldn't wait for help, it had to be done.  So I went into the room and surveyed the damage a little more closely.  All the while Lily is saying in her sweet little voice "Oh mommy, I so sorry."  Like I can be mad at that!
So many pellets!
 They were everywhere!  All of the way back under the beds, in shoes, throughout dolls' hair, just everywhere!  And they are staticy little things, so they were stuck to the walls and the sides of the beds as well.
All of the little toys mixed in was fun, lots of practice sorting
I got right to work.  I walked in, picked a spot, sat down and started raking the pellets into piles and refilling the little bean bags with them.  The girls were sweet and got right to work with me, though honestly, their help was a little trying on my patience.
It was a great opportunity however to talk about how when we do something wrong we need to do more than just say sorry, we need to do what we can to fix the situation and make it right again.

Charlotte would pick up a few and drop some in Lily's bag and a few more in her green one that I was working on, all the while scattering more pellets over the floors space that I had already cleared.
Lily on the other hand would pick them up and put them in her bag in tiny little handfuls  but she moved around the room so much, going from one spot to another that she also did a lot of scattering.  She was sweet though, she kept trying to get Charlotte to work with her by telling her that "sisters help each other because they love each other."  I really do have good kids, all things considered.
Finally, after about an hour I started to really be able to see some progress.
Eventually Lily started counting out the pellets as she was picking them up and putting them in her bag and well, my frazzled little mind found that very annoying.  Hopefully tomorrow or a week from now I'll see it as cute.
This is also about the time that I sent the girls out of the room.  I appreciated their help and desire to correct their mistake and make things right, but my nerves were at the breaking point and I just couldn't accept their help any longer.

As I go to bed tonight it is about 90% cleaned up.  There are still some pellets against the wall behind the beds, but I can't scurry under them on my tummy because I'm six months pregnant so I need to wait for Tyson to be around to help me move Lily's bed and get them picked up.  That can wait until Friday though because after cleaning everything else up I was just not up to moving furniture as well.

This evening Tyson called from work as he usually does to check-in and see how my day is going.  When he first asked how things were I paused, and then told him about his little girls emptying out their bean bags onto the floor and then dressing up in swimming suits and mermaid skirts to go swimming on their floor covered in bean bag pellets instead of napping.  It has been a long time since I heard Tyson laugh for that long or that hard..  Thankfully, his laughter made me laugh.  Sure, it was picked up by then, so the worst was past and this frazzled mom started to feel a bit better about it all.  Because honestly, it is hilarious, just not so much for the person who is cleaning up after it at the time.


  1. Haha! It's 9:30 EST and loved this--made me smile and laugh! I feel your emotions though! I'm sure this will be funny next week. Hoping all the pellets are gone by then. :)

  2. So, are the bean bags going to be sewn shut now?

  3. You are a champ for letting them help! What an incredible sight! Although I hate to see when others have a bad day, it does help to know that my life is normal because we have them, too. Case in point: today, Averi and I were waiting in the car for Gavin to get out of kindergarten and I let her come up to the passenger seat. She was standing on the floor of the car in front of the seat, and after only about a minute she said, "Mommy, I need to go potty!" and then just let it loose - all down her legs, through her underwear, skirt and leg warmers; into her shoes and socks, on the seat, and puddles all over the floor mat. I just stared at her, and she just kept peeing. Sigh. I guess I'm cleaning out the car today!