Sunday, May 29, 2011

Eating

Some of you know, most of you don't, that I have trouble getting Lily to eat. I know I know, she certainly doesn't look like she's going hungry, but it has been my greatest struggle with her. The list of things that she will eat is so short, we're talking less than 20 items. She will not try new foods, or even old ones that she liked as a baby. Veggies are a no-go, so are meats, cheeses, beans, pretty much any protein besides yogurt and peanut butter. I've resorted to hiding the veggies and protein that she needs in various concoctions so that she gets the nutrients that she needs.

At Lily's two year check-up I talked to her pediatrician about it again and he recommended that she go see a counselor about it. I said sure, I wanted the help, but honestly I was so confused. A feeding counselor, seriously, who even knew that those existed and what can they do that I haven't already been doing? Well, Dr. Roy sent in the referral and this last week they called. They had an opening the next day and wanted us to come in. So Lily and I went, and honestly I was nervous, I had no idea what we were getting ourselves into.

We met with a woman named Jennifer who is a speech and language pathologist and apparently feeding issues fall into that category. We talked for about 45 minutes, she asked about Lily's habits, what she would and would not eat, how she behaved when offered her food, etc. And then she started talking about what the plan would be. She was so reassuring! I have felt like such a terrible mom because of this. So many people have told me just to give her the same plate at every meal and when she gets hungry she'll eat. Jennifer told me that that method works for normal eaters who are just being picky, but for kids like Lily it is not the way to go. She told me that I had been doing an excellent job and that she feels like we can fix this problem in just a few short weeks.

I felt so reassured when I left her office. I wanted to cry out of relief. This has been weighing so heavily on me and to see a light at the end of the tunnel felt so fantastic. This week we have our first real session. She gave me a list of food items to bring and the plan is to step by step get Lily to interact with them, smell them, taste them, and hopefully eventually eat them.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you found some answers! I have a nephew that had similar eating issues and has been working with an occupational therapist and he is finally eating several new foods. I hope that you are able to see similar results.

    ReplyDelete